Selecting a College Admission Essay Topic
Posted on July 30, 2015 in Admission Essay
After you spend a few weeks brainstorming essay topics, you should now have a decent idea of the elements that you want to include in your admission essay. These things should include, but not be limited to, your milestone life experiences, future goals, unique attributes and non-academic acheivements and accomplishments. You should also have an overall idea on the type of impression that you would like to leave on the college admission officer.
While most college application essays are broad in scope, certain colleges may provide you with specific questions and points to address. You need to make sure that you spend a good amount of time addressing these questions as failure to do so will undoubtedly work against you. Colleges do this to ensure that your essay is somewhat unique to their application process and that you don't just write one generic essay and submit it to all your schools.
When choosing your essay topic, you need to keep in mind that the person reading your essay will be reading 50-100 other essays every day. You want to make sure that your essay is unique and that you leave a lasting and favorable impression on them. You should familiarize yourself with the college you are applying for and maybe try and incorporate elements that are unique to the college into your essay. Admission reps will appreciate that you have created an essay unique to their university, rather than the boilerplate personal statement.
Sample Essay Topics
- Describe an experience that has a speacing meaning in your life.
- Life is short - Explain why you want to spend the next 4 years of your life at XYZ College?
- Why have you chosen your particular degree, career or profession?
- How would your best friend describe you to a complete stranger?
- Have you ever faced great struggles and succeeded? Have you ever given your all and failed? Explain how this has enhanced your life.
- Describe a major contribution that you've made in any field in your life.
- Choose one important person that you would like to meet and 'interview' them.
- Explain why XYZ college needs you.